Darien Chamber of Commerce Circa 2009 - 2010
For a number of years this was the website for the Darien Chamber of Commerce. It has been archived for use as reading material for Dr. Clenton Wilson's Modern Government seminars. Rich Weil researched and developed both the site and the content, pulled from archive.org. Rich is a dog lover, well known in the web 2.0 community for his work with animal friendly sites, and is particularly famous for his work promoting healthy beds for dogs, and the websites that featured them, like this one. He worked with Dr. Wilson to discover and archive expired chamber of commerce websites that demonstrate the use of the internet in promoting government activities. This website is required reading for students taking the seminars for credit. The full syllabus is available from the political science department.
Content is from the site's 2009 - 2010 archived pages.
The Darien Chamber of Commerce's current website is found at www.darienctchamber.com/
Welcome from the Darien Chamber Board of Directors
Welcome to beautiful Darien, Connecticut, a town that offers history, culture, tranquility, excellent schools, active churches, attractive beaches along Long Island Sound, social clubs, civic organizations and a variety of philanthropic activities.
The Darien Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1957, as an outgrowth of the Darien Merchants Association.
The Chamber of Commerce is a non-profit business financed by membership dues supported by our members with the purpose of serving the town of Darien.
The Darien chamber of Commerce is committed to taking a leadership role in supporting the business community and quality of life in Darien.
The Darien Chamber of Commerce supports the business community and recognizes challenges in today’s marketplace by providing the following tools:
- Key Liaison linking the Darien business community to local, state and federal level government.
- Notifying members of legislation or issues that will directly impact business in Darien.
- Develop and Implement Educational Forums and Networking opportunities to help grow your business.
- Create a regional awareness of Darien’s business community.
In addition, the Chamber promotes the town to prospective residents and businesses by responding to numerous inquires for specific information regarding housing, employment opportunities, schools, commercial space and resources.
For our Chamber members, we provide Member to Member Only opportunities that stimulate and encourage interaction between our members.
Our Chamber also forwards requests for specific products or services to the direct benefit of our members.
The Chamber’s ever-expanding Member Benefits Program includes Medical Insurance, a gift certificate program to encourage ‘Shop Darien,’ various promotional opportunities in Chamber publications and chamber/community events.
The Chamber sponsors or coordinates: Two Scholarship Awards, the July SideWalk Sale & Family Fun Days, Holiday Magic in Darien (with Santa coming down the chimney) Holiday Stroll in Darien (to help the Holiday Lighting Fund), Charity Wine Tasting & Auction and other activities throughout the year.
The Board of Directors and members of the Darien Chamber of Commerce welcome any suggestions or comments that you may have, please do not hesitate to contact the Chamber office at (203) 655-3600, DarienChamber@optonline.net or stop by and visit us at 10 Corbin Drive, 2nd floor in Darien.
Benefits of Membership
December 24th, 2009
Promote Your Business
- New Chamber members are offered a complementary business description published in the monthly Chamber Bulletin
- New Member name and business description listed in the Monthly Chamber Bulletin, which reaches more than 325 members
- New Members are posted on the home page of the Chamber Web site for four weeks
- New Members get a free quarter-page ad in the Chamber Bulletin, and Free Hotlink
- Free Access to Members Only Online Resource Center includes: Member Annoucements, Promotions & Specials, Marketing Tool Kit, Business Brainstorm Blog
- *NEW* Members have an opportunity to host the Members-Only Brainstorming Blog for 1 month, which includes an introduction to their business and link to their website both on the blog as well as in an announcement email to registered Chamber members, in addition to initiation of an unlimited number of discussion topics throughout the month.
- *NEW* Members can participate in the Destination of Distinction Cardprogram for no charge.
- *NEW* Members will receive a “welcome new business” post and free listing on AllAboutDarien.com
- Chamber assisted Ribbon Cuttings can add “splash” your business entry into the community
Network & Education Opportunities
- Chamber member firms host informal monthly gatherings “After Hours Networking,” where businesses exchange ideas and create working relationships. We host Learning Lunches, and also have businesses or member organizations host Breakfast Workshops/Speakers where various business topics are addressed. Media Kits available to members.
- Your business message is delivered to the homes of new Darien residents. The Chamber Member Directory & Business Resource Guide is delivered by New Neighbor & Town Greeter.
- Chamber publications: Monthly Bulletin inserts: $150 per issue (you supply us with 350 inserts)
- Free Menbers News Section
- Free Members Classified Section
- Ad on front page of bulletin, 5 ¾” wide, 3 ¾” tall $150
Semi-Annual Chamber News Letter Advertising Rates*:
- Business card $90
- 1/4 Page $150
- 1/2 Page $250
- Full Page $450
- Back Cover $600
*Quarterly circulation – 9,850 (all residences in Darien & Rowayton, plus all member and non-member businesses in Darien, distributed as an insert in the Darien News-Review.)
- SideWalk Sales & Family Fun Days 4-Color newspaper insert is a great summer opportunity to advertise.
- Labels: Buy the Chamber’s membership labels (total: 325): $150
- Web site: http//dcc.darien.org has more than 100,000 hits annually
- Be listed alphabetically and by category at no charge in the Annual Darien Directory and Resource Guide, over 8000 copies printed at sent to all Darien homes & businesses and place ads that are seen all year long!.
· Benefit from the hundreds of business referrals from the Chamber to its members via phone, e-mail and U.S. mail
· Exhibit your products/services and expand your client base at the Regional Business Networking Expo, held in March jointly with six area chambers of commerce.
· Promote your business through sponsorship of the Chamber’s community events throughout the year, including our Golf Scholarship Tournament, Darien Scholarship Presentation, Wine Tasting and Auction, Traditional Town Tree Lighting & Santa Arrival , and Darien Side Walk Sales-Family Fun Days—possible Street Dance!
Darien Townwide Gift Certificate Program
· Attract more business and diversify your target audience through the Chamber’s successful and growing Darien Gift Certificate Program ($50 annual fee).
Online Directory and Hot Link
· Become part of the Darien Chamber of Commerce and list your email address if you choose and link to your Web site at no charge
Other Business Benefits
· Take advantage of group rates available to Chamber members for medical, prescription drug, dental, auto and worker’s compensation and Health Savings accounts
· Take advantage the annual scholarship available only to Chamber members, member’s family, and member’s employees. Look on website for more info & application.
Certificate of Origin
· Certificate of Origin provided free of cost to members
· Use the Chamber as a source of information five days a week during business hours or 24/7 through http//dcc.darien.org
· Members have access to the U.S Chamber’s online Small Business Center atwww.uschamber.com/federation/partners
which contains 10,000+ pages of resources & toolkits, plus advocacy alerts
· The chamber has a government liaison to work with town hall on business issues.
· Many other discounts are available through our partnership with the U.S. Chamber Federation
December 20th, 2009
The Darien Chamber of Commerce is delighted to welcome you to our organization! After reviewing the 2010 Membership Dues Schedule , please submit the form below to initiate your membership.
# of Employees Annual Dues
- 2-5 $300
- 6-15 $400
- 16-25 $500
- 26-50 $600
- 51-75 $700
- 76-100 $900
- Realtors Office $450
- Utilities $725
- Non-Profits $150
- Media $600
January 29th, 2010
Scholarship Information and Application Form
The Darien Chamber of Commerce sponsors two scholarships. One is applied for through the DHS. The other is open to High School Seniors, College or Graduate Students who work for a Darien Chamber of Commerce Member or have a member of their family currently working for a Darien Chamber of Commerce Member may apply for the Annual DCC Scholarship.
High School Seniors, College or Graduate Students who work for a Darien Chamber of Commerce Member or have a current member of their family working for a Darien Chamber of Commerce Member (parent, step-parent, aunt, uncle, sibling, grandparent, spouse, current employees) may apply for the Annual DCC Scholarship.
There will be a $2,000 scholarship awarded.
Applications must be postmarked no later than May 1st.
The winner of the scholarship will be announced in June.
Applications should be mailed to:
Darien Chamber of Commerce
Attn: Scholarship Committee
10 Corbin Drive
Darien, Connecticut 06820
Microsoft Word – DCC Annual Scholarship App 2011
Destination of Distinction Card
May 10th, 2010
What Is The Distinction Card?
The “Distinction Card” is a way to continuously reward you for shopping, dining and doing business in Darien. Supporting our local businesses helps ensure that Darien remains a healthy and vibrant community, and the Distinction Card is a way for both you, the shopper, and the participating local businesses to work together to make that happen. (A Gift Certificate is a ONE TIME USE item and NOT the same as a Distinction Card.)
How Does It Work?
All you need to do to redeem your rewards is present the Distinction Card at your time of purchase to a participating business!
There will be a special section of AllAboutDarien.com that will list all participating Darien businesses and their Distinction Card offers, which will be growing and changing each month. Information about participating businesses will also be available on the Darien Chamber of Commerce website, and an email will go out to Cardholders every 3-months with an updated brochure.
Rewards for each participating business will vary: some might offer something free with purchase, others a straight discount on total purchase, and others a discount on a specific item or service … There will be a variety of ways to save with your Distinction Card.
Cards may be purchased Online or from: Darien Doughnut, Fairbanks Photo, Goldenberry Ltd. & LaGravinese Jewelers.
These cards can be used over & over during the calendar year—so these merchants are giving incentives that can help shoppers many times, yet are fiscally responsible for their business. Many people want the small shops to stay here in Darien, so we hope you give them your repeated business. MUST show card to receive reward offerings.
Along with the Darien Gift Certificate, The Distinction Card is THE hot new gift to give to teachers, coaches, or to yourself (you deserve it after all).